Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 4 - 9 miles - Gooch Gap to Jarrod Gap

We see our first snake today - a non-venomous Black Racer, and a squirrel bouncing around in the litter. All the wildlife is new to us - we are out of our comfort zone. We are not carrying a bird book so we don't know what the birds are - Digby finds this especially frustrating. Later in the trip we discover how we should have done it when 'Sourdough', a hiker and naturalist/tour guide from Alaska, shows us his bird book - it's an app on his iphone. We are very impressed - it even has the bird calls.

We are ignorant of the local environment and rely on other hikers to help us identify plants and animals. The forest floor has very small tips of green shoots starting to appear through the leaf litter. The only green colour in a very subdued wintery landscape.



Jarrod Gap Campsite

These green shoots are called 'skunk cabbage'

Jarrod Gap is a crowded campsite and we find ourselves surrounded by a group of venture scouts and a sea of tents. 'We love your accent' they say each time we open our mouths to answer a question. 'I don't have an accent' I reply, and they hoot with laughter and talk in the strongest southern drawl - just like Jimmy Carter.

A group of 4 older hikers arrive - they have walked with us for most of the day, passing us each time we stop. The older male offers to get our water for us - it is a long drop down to the spring, so we accept and give him some chocolate in return. This exchange is remembered and I receive a comment in my online trail journal at the end of our journey from him, congratulating us and asking if we remember him - we gave him chocolate for water. Here is the entry:

Hello Wizard of Oz & Tripper....A BIG congratulations to you both. I remember you very well as a small group of us traveled together up til Blood Mountain..then my daughter & I headed home. (I retreived some water for you @ Jarard Gap & you gave me chocolate in return!!) I got the better end of that deal. I am so impressed by your tenacity... Was fun meeting you in the very beginning ~~ Safe travels!!

We meet Lorie, a thirty something financial manager who has quit her job in California to hike the trail. She is carrying a huge pack and sets up camp on her own and cooks dinner, and then joins us. She is very determined, and we keep our fingers crossed for her, as she goes through the pain of getting 'trail fit'.

I have developed an American cold which is moving to the chest and has lots of coughing. You don't get colds in the tropics, so I am adjusting to a forgotten experience.

1 comment:

  1. Tripper & Wizard!
    What a great idea this blog is. I still think of my hike every single day, so I totally understand your idea. It will be interesting for you to see how your thoughts a year later differ from your thoughts on those days! I'm looking forward to following along.
    Cody

    ReplyDelete