Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Events overtake me

When I started this blog, my plan was to live each day, and write up one day at a time, 365 days after the event. Now I am 8 days behind in my narration, of what had been the most significant journey of my life.

Unfortunately there has been a change of circumstances - the Appalachian Trail story has been superseded. I have found myself on a whole new journey for survival - in a space of 10 days I have been diagnosed with breast cancer, been into hospital, and had the breast cancer excised as well as a lymph node. Tomorrow I find out the results of the tests from the tissues that have been cut out. I am confronted by all the statistics - odds are good that I will be still alive in 5 years time - everybody I speak to knows somebody who is still alive.

I will continue to write up the blog and the story of the AT -This hike may be my last. I need to remember it. It is certainly my greatest achievement so far. I am glad that I did it while I am still fit and able to carry a pack.To anybody reading this - don't leave things till its too late.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alison,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope the test results turn out as good as possible, and you recover quickly from the surgery. I trust that your healthy lifestyle and zest for living, as well as the support and love of the people (and animals) closest to you will help with a swift and thorough healing. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. love
    Meliors

    ReplyDelete